New users start here.
Site Manager: Joshua Hudson, MD17 (email@example.com)
THANKS to the many students, faculty, and staff who help to edit EventMedley.
-Welcome Students! Be sure to bookmark your Class Page.
-Looking to create a new EventMedley Page? Click Here
-Can't find what you're looking for? Try the EVMS Student Portal: EVMS myPortal
Week of September 29th
Updates from Student Affairs
· Please see the attached document entitled Summer Funding in Peds
Thomas Jefferson School of Law: Jameson Crane III Writing Competition
· Submitted papers may be on any topic relating to disability law including, legal issues arising with respect to employment, government services, and programs, public accommodations, education, higher education, housing, and health care
· Interested in going back to PB Young after Community Care? Like working with kids? Come to our next training session to find out how and be eligible to volunteer with local elementary students on Saturday mornings.
· Please contact Amy Rogers firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
· Dinner is included
Ø LOCATION: Lester 135
Global Health Coalition- “Community and Global Medicine at EVMS”: Thursday, October 2nd 12:00 -1:00 PM
· Join us to hear Dr. Terri Babineau and Dr. Cynthia Romero speak on topics related to community and global health.
· This is a great chance to learn more about global opportunities available during your four years at EVMS.
· RSVP here by Friday (9/26). We will be serving Thai food from Rama Garden (covered by member dues or $5 per lunch).
Ø LOCATION: Lester 135
· Join us as we kick off the new school year! Our first meeting will be an introduction to Emergency Medicine with Dr. Counselman.
· Lunch will be provided to EMIG members. Don't forget to bring your dues!
Ø Location: Lester 135
Volunteers Needed for Motor Coordination in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Down syndrome Study
· 20 “normative” students (students with no personal or family history of major psychiatric or substance abuse disorders) are needed for a two visit study.
· Each participant will receive a cash incentive following completion of the study.
· IRB approval # is 14-04-FB-0069S.
· See attached flyer
· The Student Ambassador Program is designed for EVMS students to serve as leading representatives of the school before a variety of constituent groups.
· As a Student Ambassador, you will:
o Be part of a select group of students trained to advance EVMS’ mission.
o Network with trustees, community leaders, alumni and donors.
o Represent EVMS at significant events and activities.
o Give tours to prospective donors and community members.
o Speak of your experiences as a student to alumni, donors, civic and cultural leaders, and friends of EVMS.
· Apply online: www.evms.edu/studentambassador
· Applications are due September 30, 2014
· Join other EVMS students every Monday for a weekly bible study
Ø LOCATION: Lester 411
Mobile Produce Market: Every Wednesday 11:00 AM- 2:00 PM
· Food is Medicine Mobile Market is on campus every Wednesday, 11am-2pm, and throughout the summer
· In collaboration with Five Points Community Farm Market, a mobile van with fresh will be on the Townbank Lawn (outside Lester Hall)
· Cash, credit/debit cards, EBT cards accepted
· Looking for EVMS student volunteers to sign up for nutrition education on market days, 12-1pm - look out for the sign-up sheet!
· FIM will also be selling grocery totes ($3)!
Ø LOCATION: Townebank Lawn
· The EVMS Knitting / Crochet club is a no dues casual club.
· Don’t know how to knit or crochet? We’ll teach you!
· For our beginners we’ve got some knitting needles you can borrow and some scrap yarn you can have!
· (Eventually beginners you’ll want to bring 100% cotton yarn a crochet hook G / H/ I or if you want to learn to knit size 7 bamboo or wooden knitting needles. You can knit a dish rag!)
· Everyone else just bring the project you are working on. (Forgot your project? Come anyway!)
· Lunch is not provided. If you want to bring your lunch with you please do.
· Any questions contact Ruth Smith
Ø LOCATION: Student Lounge
Yoga: Every Friday 12:00-1:00 PM
· Multilevel yoga session every Friday from 12 to 1 in Lewis Hall 1116
· All are welcome, including those with no experience as well as faculty and staff; mats are provided
· Contact Matthew Badgett email@example.com with any questions!
Ø LOCATION: Lewis Hall 1116 on Fridays, Towne Bank Lawn on Wednesdays
Upcoming Conferences & Symposiums
Upcoming EVMS CME conferences and lectures http://www.evms.edu/education/cme/
Upcoming CHKD CME
Upcoming CHKD conferences and lectures http://www.cvent.com/Events
Eastern Virginia Medical School
The Office of Student Affairs exists for the purpose of enhancing the quality of student life by creating an environment that supports student academic, physical, emotional, and social development while encouraging students to develop their abilities to the fullest. Committed to this idea, the office complements the medical and health professions academic programs by providing services that help students to enter, enjoy, excel, and exit from EVMS. Students are supported in developing their academic interpersonal, leadership, and career related skills, while assisting with educational, personal, health, and social challenges.
The information contained in this electronic message is legally privileged and confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Information contained in this message may be part of an educational record and is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This information is being shared with the addressee(s) because of a legitimate educational interest. Any re-disclosure of this information must be done in accordance with FERPA or with the student's consent. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or receive this email in error, please destroy the message without making any copy or distribution and contact the sender immediately.
The opinions, advice, statements, and judgments, or other information or content expressed on EventMedley, or made available via hyperlinks to other sites, are those of the respective author(s) and in no way indicate sponsorship, approval, or agreement by EVMS. In addition, EVMS does not endorse, nor is it responsible for, accuracy, or reliability of any information contained on EventMedley and the end user assumes the risk of using this information.