New users start here.
Site Manager: Joshua Hudson, MD17 (email@example.com)
THANKS to the many students, faculty, and staff who help to edit EventMedley.
-Welcome Students! Be sure to bookmark your Class Page.
-Looking to create a new EventMedley Page? Click Here
-Can't find what you're looking for? Try the EVMS Student Portal: EVMS myPortal
Week of August 18th
Updates from Student Affairs
· We are pleased to be able to offer a limited number of year-long GoPass365 cards at the existing price of $75. These cards will be valid from July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2015.
· The new cards, which allow usage of HRT buses, The Tide light rail, the Elizabeth River Ferry, and The Max buses, will be available to EVMS students on a first-come, first-served basis in the Office of Student Affairs, first floor Lewis Hall beginning June 24. Only checks (made payable to EVMS) or cash for the entire $75 will be accepted. Please be sure to obtain a receipt.
· Incoming students may have the opportunity to purchase passes during Orientation, depending on availability. We will let you know the status of these sometime during Orientation week.
o Please note that the current “red” GoPass365 cards will not be valid after June 30, 2013.
o The new “blue” cards must be used with your EVMS ID Badge.
o The GoPass365 card must be legibly endorsed on the back in permanent ink.
· To purchase a card, please see Ebony Drayton in Student Affairs
· The Graduate Art Therapy and Counseling Program and the GATCP Class of 2015 are sponsoring an interprofessional art exhibit focusing on art created by EVMS students from all programs. We encourage you to share your reflections and artistic skills with your community. Students should submit a two-dimensional art piece no bigger than 24” x 36” about their experience with health and sickness, whether from a personal, research, or caregiver perspective.
· Exhibition Dates: September 18, 2014 – November 16, 2014
Artwork will be displayed in Lobby entry ways around campus
(Lester Hall, Lewis Hall, Andrews Hall, the Rotunda, and Hofhiemer Hall)
· Opening Reception:
Thursday, September 18, 2014, Lester Hall, EVMS, Norfolk, VA
· Deadline for Submissions: Friday, September 12, 2014
· Notification of Selected Artworks: Monday, September 15, 2014
· Delivery Dates: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 – Thursday, September 18, 2014 by 12:00pm (Noon) AT Classroom, Lester Hall Room 107
Please leave outside the classroom door if class is in session. ***Bring signed Call for Artwork- attached to the back of your art piece.
· Eligibility: EVMS students in all programs: the School of Health Professions and the Medical School
· Awards: Recognition “Best in Show” and “People’s Choice”
· Attached- application
· This meeting is to provide incoming students with information on how to volunteer at the HOPES clinic.
· Our Student Relations representative will run through a PowerPoint presentation.
· The meeting is open to all EVMS students
· LOCATION: McCombs
· This is a book sale for all classes, to be held on campus over three days.
· Students will have the opportunity to either donate or put their books up for purchase.
· Students will also have the opportunity to meet with other students and make recommendations on study aids.
· LOCATION: outside Study Lounge 1116- Lewis Hall
· Interested in joining the YMCA? EVMS students get a great membership deal equaling $240 for the entire year!
· If you’re interested in learning more, come to the Student Lounge and meet the YMCA membership representative on Aug 21st.
· Learn More: http://www.ymcashr.org/blocker-norfolk
· LOCATION: Student Lounge
· Want to learn to sail? Sail Nauticus is a community sailing center!
· $175 offers full access to our brand new fleet of eight Harbor 20 sailboats, along with opportunities to participate in sailing and social events throughout the year. And the best part is, ; as a community sailing center, we foster an atmosphere of mentorship and ongoing education to help guide your growth as a sailor. Membership includes:
Ø LOCATION: Student Lounge
· The ODU recreation center is a 15,000 sq. ft. multi-level fitness center.
· Students have the option of joining the ODU intramural teams as part of their membership
· Flyer attached
Ø LOCATION: Student Lounge
· As part of the American Red Cross campaign "100 Days of Summer. 100 days of Hope" the Red Cross club at EVMS will host a blood drive.
· To schedule an appointment, visit redcrossblood.org and enter EVMS as the sponsor code.
· Walk-up donors are welcome.
Ø LOCATION: Student Lounge
· EVMS Police and Public Safety invites you to learn the art of using verbal skills to de-escalate crisis situations.
· Instructor Bio- Officer Bostjancic is a police officer with over 31 years of experience in law enforcement. He currently works at EVMS.
· Officer Bostjancic retired from the Norfolk Police Department where he was the Sergeant in charge of the Hostage Crisis Negotiation Team. He is currently the Virginia Director for the International Association and training of Hostage Negotiators. He has assisted the CIA in forming and training their Negotiation Team. Officer Bostjancic is certified in 11 states as an expert witness in crisis negotiation and civil litigation.
· Contact Officer Bostjancic to sign up, or for more information.
Ø LOCATION: Hofheimer Hall- Room 752
· Food is Medicine Mobile Market is on campus every Wednesday, 11am-2pm, and throughout the summer
· In collaboration with Five Points Community Farm Market, a mobile van with fresh will be on the Townbank Lawn (outside Lester Hall)
· Cash, credit/debit cards, EBT cards accepted
· Looking for EVMS student volunteers to sign up for nutrition education on market days, 12-1pm - look out for the sign-up sheet!
· FIM will also be selling grocery totes ($5)!
· LOCATION: Townebank Lawn
· The Mind and Meditation Club is introducing beginner's yoga every Wednesday from 12:15 to 12:45 on the Townebank Lawn outside Lester Hall
· We are also holding a longer multilevel yoga session every Friday from 12 to 1 in Lewis Hall 1116
· All are welcome, including those with no experience as well as faculty and staff; mats are provided
· Contact Matthew Badgett firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
· LOCATION: Lewis Hall 1116 on Fridays, Towne Bank Lawn on Wednesdays
Upcoming Conferences & Symposiums
Upcoming EVMS CME conferences and lectures http://www.evms.edu/education/cme/
Upcoming CHKD CME
Upcoming CHKD conferences and lectures http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=5f25894b-ad6e-4ef3-8d90-4b63ff227a55
Eastern Virginia Medical School
The Office of Student Affairs exists for the purpose of enhancing the quality of student life by creating an environment that supports student academic, physical, emotional, and social development while encouraging students to develop their abilities to the fullest. Committed to this idea, the office complements the medical and health professions academic programs by providing services that help students to enter, enjoy, excel, and exit from EVMS. Students are supported in developing their academic interpersonal, leadership, and career related skills, while assisting with educational, personal, health, and social challenges.
The information contained in this electronic message is legally privileged and confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Information contained in this message may be part of an educational record and is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This information is being shared with the addressee(s) because of a legitimate educational interest. Any re-disclosure of this information must be done in accordance with FERPA or with the student's consent. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or receive this email in error, please destroy the message without making any copy or distribution and contact the sender immediately.
The opinions, advice, statements, and judgments, or other information or content expressed on EventMedley, or made available via hyperlinks to other sites, are those of the respective author(s) and in no way indicate sponsorship, approval, or agreement by EVMS. In addition, EVMS does not endorse, nor is it responsible for, accuracy, or reliability of any information contained on EventMedley and the end user assumes the risk of using this information.